The Maasai Mara Leopard Gorge Conservancy is a conservancy project driven by seven Maasai families who own the land where the conservancy and Kandili Camp is located.
Community members joined and established this private conservancy comprising of more than 200 hectars to protect and preserve this land, rather than devoting the land to grazing or agriculture.
The Leopard Gorge is a unique location where the well-known BBC TV series Big Cats, as well as beautiful panoramic scenes from Out of Africa were filmed.
The Double Gorge, located within the Leopard Gorge, is a narrow valley with steep rocky wall formations, with some of the oldest trees of the Maasai Mara and the Serengeti.
Kandili Camp is the only camp located within this conservancy area, offering a protected site filled with wild life that can be enjoyed on a game drive or whilst out on a walking safari, in total privacy.
Kandili Camp Ltd. has established a long-term agreement with the Maasai owning the land, to manage the camp, and together coordinate an effective plan to preserve this natural habitat. Guests at Kandili Camp contribute a small conservancy fee to protect this unique environment and fund various community projects. All our stuff members are from the local community and are trained in Kandili Camp.
- Implement corporate social responsibility initiatives to benefit local communities.
- Strengthen the local community through training and employment of its members in the tourism sector and facilitating the sale of their handcraft products.
- Supporting the education of children by improving the school with educational materials and facilitating the availability of fresh water.
- Maintain high quality standards, while ensuring a low environmental impact of our commercial activity. All our staff is trained to keep a waste-free area.
- Cooperate with local institutions, such as the Kenya Wildlife to protect the environment.